Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Even When It Rains...

This morning was not an easy morning.

Last night I spent almost two full hours listening to one of my neighbors arguing with his girlfriend until about 2:45AM. Already having gone to bed later than usual, I was not a happy camped being kept up for two more hours listening to the argument ebb and flow. However, I finally drifted to sleep, despite a fitful one. This morning, my alarm went off at 8:30 for the first time and twice more after I snoozed it. I finally sat up in bed a little before 9 and looked out my window only to find it down pouring. There I was, sitting in bed, dreading the morning, tired beyond belief from the busy day before and the restless night of sleep--and contemplating just pulling the covers up over my head and not facing the world on this dreary Wednesday.

I was upset, to say the least.

But even when it rains, things don't always have to be miserable. Life can be what we make of it, and regardless of how much I know that I can directly affect my mood by simply thinking to myself. "Today will be a GREAT DAY!" this morning, I was making it miserable by complaining before I had even fully woken up.

So I cut myself a break. That's right--I skipped my first class: a non-majors biology course, and a class I resent to have to take. Despite what you might be thinking, I believe it was a good choice on my part. I was able to take a little extra time to eat my breakfast while listening to the constant rain coming down outside, and I was able to work on some Italian flash cards for the upcoming chapter (a subject I enjoy, unlike biology!).

After an hour of relaxation, I put on my rain jacket, picked up my umbrella, and braved the weather to get to my next class. Although it was cold and rainy, I began to tell myself that this day was going to get better.

Strangely enough, in my Sociological Theories course, we discussed the "self-fulfilling prophecy" of hyperreality. Of course, I may be stretching a little if I include the hyperreality bit, but the concept of a self-fulfilling prophecy on its own was exactly what I had been struggling with the entire morning. I woke up complaining, thinking about how miserable it was out, and therefore made myself miserable. If I had sat up, looked outside, and good things instead, I could very well have had a very different outlook on the day.

It's a learning process. I'm learning the world. And while this applies to the big picture, it also applies to the little things--like waking up with a smile and telling yourself that it is going to be a good day, despite the weather, the night before, and the blaring alarm clock that always seems to ring earlier than you want.

So even when it rains, what do you tell yourself or what do you do in order to ensure that you will start your day off with a smile and a good feeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...